In 1942, the Kokoda Track area was the scene of bitter fighting as the Australian Army fought to defend Port Moresby from advancing Japanese forces. Today, our fight is a different one and our battlefield much closer – in our streets and in the homes of people we know and love. Today, we want to end family violence.
Join Windermere and our Trek Ambassador Matthew ‘Richo’ Richardson, as we tackle one of the world’s great treks – The Kokoda Track. As you journey through the south and north coast of Papua New Guinea across 96 kilometres of rugged mountain terrain, tropical rainforest and unspoiled villages, your walk can raise vital funds to help end family violence.
As part of this incredible adventure, you will trek the track by day, open to the harsh and inspiring beauty of Papua New Guinea’s tropical rainforest. At night you will stay in secluded camps, sharing stories with locals and falling asleep to the nocturnal sounds of the jungle.
Not for the faint-hearted, this truly is a once-in-a-lifetime adventure, and with every step you take, you will raise vital funds to help end family violence.
Sadly, family violence touches one in two people across South Eastern Melbourne. More than half the people we work with every day are experiencing issues resulting from family violence.
We work to keep families together, where it’s safe and possible. We pay our respects to all those who have been hurt, injured or killed trying to protect their families in the face of family violence.
We acknowledge the increasing awareness and action across the community and from government around family violence. Your support will ensure that we continue to send our important message and create even greater change.
• $50 can provide clothing for a family fleeing violence
• $100 can provide meals for a family for a week
• $500 can provide placement for one student within our educational prevention program, which can successfully reduce family violence in future generations
• $3,000 provides essential support to a family dealing with violence including the ongoing emotional support such as counseling and practical support such as financial assistance and help to secure stable accommodation
• $5,000 provides a term of educational prevention programs which can successfully reduce family violence in future generations
Dates: 22 October – 1 November 2018
Registration fee: $770 (non-refundable)
Fundraising target: $3,000 (excludes travel)
Travel quote: Brisbane $4,745*, Cairns $4,645*, Sydney $4,995*, including taxes
Trip duration: 11 days
Challenge duration: 9 days
Accommodation: Twin-share in a 4-star hotel and comfortable camping
Minimum age: 18 (younger ages considered on application)
*Subject to change
Want to learn more? Enter your details in the form to instantly receive your information pack.
Questions? Give us a call on 1300 905 188.